When you are going through a divorce, you might find that you start to fall into the mode of thinking that things are always going wrong. You have to try to find ways to make things work and still remain positive. The fact is that moving on after a divorce can be challenging. Having a plan when you are in this position can help you tremendously.
While there isn't a plan that will work for everyone, consider these ideas to help you thrive despite the major change you are facing:
- Always forgive yourself. Even if the divorce is your fault, accept the responsibility and move on. Beating yourself up constantly will make you miserable.
- Accept help from your family members and friends. Trying to be proud and independent is great, but always get help when you need it. You don't have to be overly stressed when you have loved ones who will lend a hand.
- Set attainable goals. You should have long-term and short-term goals so that you can continually see your progress. Think about multiple areas of your life so that you have everything covered, but be careful that you aren't overwhelming yourself with goals.
- Find hobbies and activities that you enjoy. You may have been focused on mutually agreeable activities during your marriage, but now you can do the things that you enjoy. Don't be afraid to try new things now that your marriage is over. If you don't truly enjoy something, just don't do it again.
- Think about all major life changes. Don't make quick decisions when you have time to think about things. You need to weigh the pros and cons, so you do things that are in your best interests.
While your divorce is still in the works, make sure that you are thinking about things like property division and child custody. These can affect the rest of your life, so you don't need to make split-second decisions about them.