Michael G. Putter Attorney at Law
Experienced Family Law Counsel For Rome, New York, And The Mohawk Valley
Call Today 315-371-1862 Or Toll Free 866-915-4085

Using spousal support to get back to work

If you are going through a divorce, you likely want to acquire spousal support, especially if you've been handling the household for most of the marriage. Spousal support, also known as alimony, is a payment made to you by your former spouse. It is not a lifetime payment. Instead, it is known as a rehabilitative payment. It ends when you either remarry or find employment.

Many people who get divorced haven't worked in years because their spouse has earned enough money to care for them and the family. Getting divorced means that you will need to return to the workforce in order to sustain yourself, pay your bills and put food on your own table.

If you need to earn a certificate or degree to gain employment, you can use the spousal support for your tuition. The alimony payments might not be enough to cover all of your tuition, but it's definitely a start for you as you get ready to go back to work.

Just know that these payments will come to an end at some point. The judge might rule that the payments end when you earn your degree or certificate. Or, the judge could rule that the payments continue until you find a job. The payments would then end after you notify the court that you have a job.

When you go through divorce, you need to ensure that you receive spousal support. There will be requirements that the judge will look for from your marriage and if you don't meet them, you will see it denied.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
FindLaw Network

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy